Saturday, March 1, 2014

Guided Reading (Research Article 2)

 
 
I was interested in reading an article this week that was related to guided reading because I recently assessed a first grader's writing sample. This assessment required a knowledge of phonics, syntax, and predicting the students spelling stage. After doing an assessment such as this I will then conduct another assessment on the child's reading level. After reading an interesting article called, Guided Reading: The Romance and the Reality, By Irene Fountas, I am aware of the complexities a teacher must be aware of and implement during assessment. It is important for teachers to know what to look for and take that knowledge and apply it correctly and effectively. I am now more aware of what my role as the teacher should be when assessing a students reading or spelling stage.
 
 This article discusses the "goal of guided reading and 12 systems of strategic activities that operate simultaneously" in order to understand the process of reading. One of the 12 systems and strategies that I thought was interesting and will be applied to my future students was "using systematic assessment". This section of the article stresses the importance that "good assessment is the foundation for effective teaching". I believe this to be very true, especially after attempting to assess a first grader's writing sample for the first time. After looking at all the components of the students writing it was clear to me that if I knew exactly what to look for and how to effectively teach to the students particular strengths and weaknesses it can efficiently and effectively improve the students writing. I believe this idea is the exact same with reading, if I understand what to look for and what weaknesses to target for improvement, the student will move faster toward comprehension and fluency. Assessment is "gaining information about the learners you will teach" which is why in this article Fountas, suggests that "in a comprehensive approach to literacy education, small group teaching is needed for the careful observation and specific teaching of individuals that it allows, as well as for efficiency in teaching and the social learning that benefits each student". In order for teachers to properly assess students they need to become experts in reforming groups for guided reading.  This key concept of changing group dynamic needs to be frequent because readers are growing and changing everyday. The important job of the teacher is observing these changes and conducting ongoing assessments.
While there were many valid and interesting points the author makes in this article, I was able to relate to the importance of assessment because of my current experience with it. I believe that while it will take practice, it is important for teachers to become experts in assessment.
 
 
 
 
Source:
 
Guided Reading: The Romance and the Reality. Fountas, Irene C.. Reading Teacher. 12/01/2012. Vol. 66. Issue 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment